A collective of leading American bassoonists dedicated to the creation and performance of new works for the instrument announces the fourth Dark in the Song Performance Competition
Competition finals are held during the NewBassoon Workshop, June 4-11, 2022, as part of the National Music Festival in Chestertown, Maryland.
AWARDS FOR FIRST AND SECOND PLACE
- First place receives a $300 US cash prize, full tuition reduction, and performs their solo during the 2022 NewBassoon Workshop
- Second place winner will receive a $200 gift certificate provided by Midwest Musical Imports, a $100 tuition reduction, and performs their solo during the 2022 NewBassoon Workshop.
- Third place receives a $100 tuition reduction, and performs their solo during the 2022 NewBassoon Workshop.
- The NewBassoon Workshop registration fee will be waived for all competition applicants
Bassoonists of all nationalities born after January 1, 1992 are eligible to compete.
TWO LEVELS OF COMPETITION
- All entrants must submit an online application. Entrants must upload audio recording files of the preliminary round repertoire listed below. The deadline for submission of all material is April 15, 2022. Scroll down for application.
- Three finalists will be chosen from the preliminary round recordings and invited to compete live at the NewBassoon Workshop, June 4-11, 2022. If selected as a finalist, entrants must travel to Chestertown, MD for the competition.
PRELIMINARY ROUND REPERTOIRE
- Your choice of a solo composed since 1980 for unaccompanied bassoon, or for bassoon with fixed media or live electronics. (6 minute minimum. For longer works, an excerpt is permitted for the preliminary round recording.)
FINAL LIVE ROUND REPERTOIRE
The final round will consist of two works:
- ‘Infinitely ethereal’ for solo Bassoon (2018) by Michele Abondano. Click here to purchase the digital score (7 Euro), program notes, and a link to a video performance.
- Your choice of a solo composed since 1980 for unaccompanied bassoon, or for bassoon with fixed media or live electronics. (6 minute minimum)
The jury is comprised of Rachael Elliott, Michael Harley, Lynn Hileman, Saxton Rose, and Rebekah Heller.
Submit the application below. Deadline is April 15, 2022
Any questions should be directed to Rachael Elliott, 2022 Bassoon Performance Competition Chair: email@example.com
ABOUT DARK IN THE SONG
Called a “bassoon supergroup” by the American Music Center, Dark in the Song is: Rachael Elliott (Clogs), Michael Harley (Alarm Will Sound, University of South Carolina), Lynn Hileman (Tuple, West Virginia University), and Saxton Rose (Zéphyros Winds, University of North Carolina School of the Arts). Members are also part of the Rushes Ensemble, formed to play composer Michael Gordon’s pioneering concert-length work for seven bassoons, Rushes.