A collective of leading American bassoonists dedicated to the creation and performance of new works for the instrument announces the third Dark in the Song Performance Competition.
June 1-8, 2019 as part of the National Music Festival in Chestertown, Maryland.
AWARDS FOR FIRST AND SECOND PLACE
- First place winner will receive a $300 US cash prize and full tuition reduction. First place winner will also have the opportunity to perform with Dark in the Song during the 2019 NewBassoon Institute.
- Second place winner will receive a $200 gift certificate provided by Midwest Musical Imports. Both winners will have the opportunity to perform as part of a participant recital during the workshop.
- Second and Third place receive a $100 tuition reduction for the 2019 NewBassoon Workshop.
Bassoonists of all nationalities born after January 1, 1989 are eligible to compete.
TWO LEVELS OF COMPETITION
- All entrants must submit an online application and fee of $30 US payable by credit card. Entrants must upload audio recording files of the preliminary round repertoire listed below. The deadline for submission of all material is April 1, 2019. Scroll down for application.
- Three finalists will be chosen based on the preliminary round recordings and invited to compete live at the NewBassoon Institute, June 1-8, 2019. If selected as a finalist, entrants must agree to travel to Chestertown, MD for the competition.
PRELIMINARY ROUND REPERTOIRE
- You may choose two contrasting works for bassoon solo, or for bassoon with soundtrack or live electronics composed in the last 50 years. Transcriptions are permitted. The works could be complete or excerpted, however the total of both works combined should be roughly 10 minutes in length.
FINAL LIVE ROUND REPERTOIRE
The final round will consist of two works:
- Enigma by William Winstead
- Additionally, choose any one complete work for bassoon solo, or for bassoon with soundtrack or live electronics composed in the last 50 years. Transcriptions are permitted. This work should be a minimum of 6 minutes in length.
The jury is comprised of members of Dark in the Song: Rachael Elliott, Michael Harley, Lynn Hileman, Peter Kolkay, and Saxton Rose.
Step 1: Submit your $30 application fee with a credit card via paypal using the following link: paypal.me/bassoon.
Step 2: Submit the application below.
ABOUT DARK IN THE SONG
Called a “bassoon supergroup” by the American Music Center, Dark in the Song is: Rachael Elliott (Clogs), Michael Harley (Alarm Will Sound, University of South Carolina), Lynn Hileman (Tuple, West Virginia University), Peter Kolkay (Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, Vanderbilt University), and Saxton Rose (Zéphyros Winds, University of North Carolina School of the Arts). Members are also part of the Rushes Ensemble, formed to play composer Michael Gordon’s pioneering concert-length work for seven bassoons, Rushes.