A collective of leading American bassoonists dedicated to the creation of new works for the instrument announces the second Dark in the Song Composition Prize. This year’s competition is for bassoon duos.
THE WINNING ENTRY WILL RECEIVE:
- $500 cash prize
- World Premiere Performance by Dark in the Song at the NewBassoon Workshop, June, 2020 in Chestertown, MD
- Audio and video recording of the performance
- Original work for two bassoons or two bassoons and electronics
- The work must not have had its premiere in any form
- The work must be five or more minutes in length, and can be a single movement or multiple movements
The deadline for submission is April 1, 2020. Entries will be judged by members of Dark in the Song and the winner announced April 20, 2020.
ABOUT DARK IN THE SONG
Called a “bassoon supergroup” by the American Music Center, Dark in the Song is: Rachael Elliott (Clogs, Longy School of Music of Bard College), Michael Harley (Alarm Will Sound, University of South Carolina), Lynn Hileman (Tuple, West Virginia University), Peter Kolkay (Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, Vanderbilt University), and Saxton Rose (Zéphyros Winds, University of North Carolina School of the Arts). Members are also part of the Rushes Ensemble, formed to record and perform composer Michael Gordon’s pioneering concert-length work for seven bassoons, Rushes.