After a fantastic inaugural program at Eastman in 2016, Dark in the Song will again present the NewBassoon Institute, a four-day workshop July 12-16, 2017 at the University of South Carolina in Columbia.
Tuition for the four-day institute is $400, which includes all activities, concert admission and private lessons. Register Now
Registrants must also email a current resume to Michael Harley, firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE INSTITUTE
Four leading American bassoon artists and teachers, Michael Harley, Lynn Hileman, Peter Kolkay and Saxton Rose, all members of the pioneering bassoon collective Dark in the Song, present a four-day workshop on contemporary bassoon literature, performance techniques, and pedagogy. The institute is designed for college students and beyond. Participants will work closely with the faculty in a variety of settings, including private lessons, master classes, and ensemble coachings. The workshop also includes faculty and student performances, exhibits, and a performance competition. Read about the 2016 Workshop.
ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS
- Performance master classes and private lessons by Michael Harley, Lynn Hileman, Peter Kolkay, and Saxton Rose
- The Dark in the Song Performance Competition Final Round
- Full faculty recital of solo and chamber works for bassoon by Dark in the Song
- Lecture/discussion on new trends in chamber music
- Workshops on contemporary bassoon literature and techniques, including circular breathing
- Panel discussion on grant writing, commissioning, and entrepreneurial activities for performers
- Performance of Michael Gordon’s Rushes, an hour-long work for seven bassoons
- Presentation on the Pedagogy of Extended Techniques
- Performance/demonstration on performing with various electronic systems including live looping
Tuition for all four days is $400 including all activities, concert admission and private lessons. Housing is available at the following rates:
- Double occupancy suite, 4 nights (check in July 12, check out July 16) $125.00
- Double occupancy suite, 5 nights (check in July 12, check out July 17) $155.00
- Single occupancy suite, 4 nights (check in July 12, check out July 16) $165.00
- Single occupancy suite, 5 nights (check in July 12, check out July 17) $200.00
The entire institute takes place at the University of South Carolina School of Music in Columbia, SC